You have been successfully signed up.

Loading, please wait...

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

February 21st, 2017 by


More than three years after the advent of e-tolls, David Makhura has admitted that it was a mistake and promises there will be no new e-tolls on Gauteng roads.

The e-tolls have been a debacle that has shaken, not only Johannesburg, but the nation. It has been rendered a complete failure to SANRAL’s inability to get compliance from citizens.

When addressing the province on Monday morning, Makhura said, “We are mobilising resources for public transport infrastructure in ways that will ensure that we don’t commit the same mistakes done with the e-tolls. We can’t build roads and only later inform citizens that they must pay. In fact, there will be no e-tolls on our new roads.”

13022017 CarInsuranceBanner 01 1 - “E-tolls Were a Mistake”- Gauteng Premier Admits

He went on to say that the ANC in Gauteng had found alternative ways to pay for the costly tolling system, after it became clear e-tolls would negatively affect the ANC’s hold on Gauteng during last year’s elections.

“I must admit publicly, as I did last year, that all the efforts we have made through the Advisory Panel have not led to the resolution of concerns of Gauteng motorists regarding affordability. We have tried our best,” Makhura said.

“The ultimate solution can only come from national level. We will continue to engage in order to represent the interests of our residents,” the premier said.

OUTA Highlights The Enormous Failure Of The E-Toll System

etoll, etolls

Last year December, lobby group OUTA (Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse) released a graphic chart, which showed in detail how the road system had been a failure.

According to OUTA chairman, Wayne Duvenhage, only one in five users pay for e-tolls and there are currently 2.9 million motorists in debt.

According to a report by Moneyweb, motorists owe Sanral more than R6.2 million in unpaid e-tolls as a result of non-compliance.

Sanral confirms over 6000 summonses sent to non-paying motorists for over R575 million of outstanding toll fees.

e-toll

CLICK BELOW to read more about how badly e-tolls have failed.

unnamed 2 - “E-tolls Were a Mistake”- Gauteng Premier Admits

OUTA Court Case With SANRAL

In a post published on their site early last year, OUTA announced that they planned to go to court with Sanral in a ‘test case’.

“A test case will mean that all OUTAs members cases are put on hold whilst we thrash out the defense (sic) of one (or more) of our members against Sanral’s summons for non payment. If indeed we are able to prove that Sanrals summons and demands for payment are illegitimate, or unlawful, that will essentially mean that the scheme will have a serious problem and inability to enforce payment for all other road users.

If, however, SANRAL can prove legitimacy and lawfulness of their conduct, it means that they will have to do so for every signs case of each individual going forward.”

Banner Image 02  - “E-tolls Were a Mistake”- Gauteng Premier Admits

  • John R Potter

    SANRAL lost it’s case in the Western Cape and now has to pay all of the Western Capes costs of over R20 million ,seems like SANRAL has plenty of money.