With January being International Brain Teaser month – Didn’t know that existed? Well now you know! – We decided to have some fun and put together a list of 10 brainteasers that are bound to leave you puzzled (excuse the pun)! Whether you decide to complete them over the weekend or whilst you’re bored at work, we’d love to hear how you did! Feel free to drop us a line on our and let us know how many you managed to complete on your own! And no cheating!! Good luck!
- Each of the following sets of letters can be made into a real word by adding three letters to the beginning, and the same three letters in the same order to the end.
For example, ANGLEM can have ENT added at the start and the end to become ENT + ANGLEM + ENT = ENTANGLEMENT.
- I went on a trip last week. The traffic was moderate and the journey took two and a half hours. On the return journey, the traffic was similar, but I made it back in 150 minutes. Why?
- Imagine you are in a room, no doors, windows or anything, how do you get out?
- Can you complete these 5-letter words?
_ _ _JO
Q_ _ _A
At a recent painting competition, Eileen's rendition of a Constable was not last.
Jenny only just managed to avoid last place and came third.
The lady who painted a Monet was very successful and took first place.
Ada beat the lady who painted the Taylor and the lady who painted the Van Gogh beat Vera.
Can you determine who painted what and who won?
- Before Mt. Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain in the world?
- If you were running a race and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?
- Count the number of times that the letter F appears in the following sentence:“Finished files are the result of years of scientific study combined with the experience of years.”
- Which word, if pronounced right, is wrong, but if pronounced wrong is right?
- What four digit number has digit 2 smaller than digit 4 which is two thirds of digit 1 which is two thirds of digit 3 which is three times digit 2?
- ENT + ERTAINM + ENT = ENTERTAINMENT
RED + ISCOVE + RED = REDISCOVERED
ING + ROW + ING = INGROWING
ANT + IOXID + ANT = ANTIOXIDANT
MIC + ROCOS + MIC = MICROCOSMIC
- The times are the same.
# Name Artist
1. Ada Monet
2. Eileen Constable
3. Jenny Van Gogh
4. Vera Taylor
- Mt. Everest. It just wasn’t discovered yet.
- You would be in 2nd place.
- How many letters F did you count? Three? Wrong, there are six! Almost everyone guesses three. Why? It seems that the brain cannot correctly process the word "OF". The letter F usually makes the "f" sound, like in "fox". However, in the word "of", it makes a "v" sound. Somehow, your brain overlooks the word "of" as it scans for the sound of "f".
Digit 3 can only be 3, 6 or 9 (as it's 3 x Digit 2).
Digit 2 can only be 1, 2 or 3.
Digit1 can only be 2, 4 or 6.
But, since Digit 4 is two thirds of Digit 1, Digit 1 must be 6. Making Digit 4 4 and making Digit 3 9. Making Digit 2 3.