MacOS Sierra Is Here
MacOS Sierra is now available for all Apple desktop users as a free update. We look into the main features presented by this new operating system.
Published: Wednesday, September 28th 2016
Apple's latest operating system for Mac, MacOS Sierra, is now available as a free update.
MacOS Sierra brings Siri to the Mac. The new operating system offers the same experience that you've gotten used to on iPhone and iPad. Along with all-new capabilities designed specifically for use on the desktop. Features like Universal Clipboard, iCloud Desktop and Documents, Auto Unlock and Apple Pay® on the web help your Mac work even better with other Apple devices. And Photos gets an update with a new Memories feature that automatically creates curated collections of your favourite photos and videos.
Main Features on the New MacOS Sierra
Siri on the Mac can help send messages and email, find documents, look up information, search a user’s photo library, adjust system preferences and more. Users can also drag and drop Siri results into documents or pin them into their Today View for later reference. Universal Clipboard allows users to copy content from an app on one Apple device and paste it into another app on a different Apple device. With iCloud Desktop and Documents users can now access the files on their Desktop from iPhone and iPad. And Auto Unlock lets users automatically log into their Mac when they are wearing an authenticated Apple Watch.
Apple Pay on the web makes the online shopping experience in Safari more convenient and secure than ever. Shoppers can now click the Apple Pay button at checkout on nearly 300,000 participating websites. They then complete their purchase with Touch ID on iPhone 6 or later or with their Apple Watch. Your credit or debit card information is not shared with online merchants and strong encryption protects all communication between your device and Apple Pay servers.
Photos introduces Memories, which highlights favourite and forgotten moments in users’ photo libraries by automatically creating curated collections of occasions like birthday parties or family vacations. Photos uses advanced computer vision to identify faces, objects and scenes in your images. So photos can be searched by who and what is in them. An all-new Brilliance editing tool brightens dark areas and pulls in highlights to make photos look richer and more vibrant.
Other Great New Features in MacOS Sierra
- Messages makes conversations more interesting. It allows users to preview web links and play video clips from right within the app. You can also respond to messages with a Tapback like a heart or thumbs up and, more directly, onto a message bubble. Tapback also allows you to send bigger emoji for more message impact.
- Tabs are now available across Mac apps that support multiple windows. These include Maps, Mail, Pages®, Numbers®, Keynote®, TextEdit, and even third-party apps.
- Picture in Picture floats video from Safari or iTunes® in a window over the desktop. The window can be resized, dragged and pinned to any corner of the screen. So users can watch video while they work.
- Optimized Storage frees up space when a Mac starts getting full by storing infrequently used items in the cloud. It also helps users remove apps and files they no longer need.
- Apple Music® in iTunes makes it even easier to discover new music and browse exclusives and new releases.