Written By: Chelsea Petersen
Nothing has revolutionised the word of computers and communications like the invention of the internet. A large percentage of the world’s entire population uses the internet every single day, without realising the sheer magnitude of its networking structure, or the amount of data that gets processed every second. To put it into perspective, here are some mind blowing facts about the internet today.
- 40% of the world’s population, that is almost 3 billion people, are internet users.
- Google estimates the internet at about 5 million terabytes of data.
- 247 billion emails are sent every day.
- There are 234 million websites, and 126 million blogs.
- An internet surfing session lasts, on average, just under an hour for most people – 51 minutes to be exact.
- Every second, 28 258 internet users are watching pornography.
- Facebook has more than 400 million active users. Twitter has 105 million.
- 20 hours of videos are uploaded to YouTube every minute, and 12.2 billion videos are viewed each month.
- 50 million tweets are sent every day. That’s about 600 tweets per second.
- People who use social networks will spend 10% of their entire life time on these sites.
- Over 8.7 billion machines are currently connected to the internet.