With General Motor's exit from South Africa, the country is slowly losing car brands options. There are many vehicles that are top selling vehicles in countries abroad, but they haven't even made it to SA shores.
The Ford F-150 was the number one best selling vehicle in the USA for the last 40 years. Yet, South Africans will never know how the Ford F-150 drives, because it has never made it here.
We have compiled a list of vehicles that have been best-sellers overseas, but have yet to be released in South Africa.
SAVE up to 35% on your car insurance premium!
1. Ford F-150
This monster of a truck has won numerous awards and has been a real hit with the Americans. Next year, Ford is launching a brand new F-150 that is tougher and even more hardcore than the current model.
- King Ranch;
The new 2018 Ford F-150 will come with the standard features as well as a few extras. Here is a list of some of the features that drivers can expect:
Safety is really important so Ford has ensured that unlike its Kuga, the F-150 has undergone various safety tests. Here are some of the safety features:
- Standard Auto Start-Stop for all engines;
- All-new 3.3-litre V6 with port and direct-injection technology and flex-fuel capability;
- Electronic six-speed automatic transmission;
- Electronic 10-speed automatic drive modes;
- Second-generation 2.7-liter EcoBoost now has advanced dual port and direct-injection technology;
- Major exterior freshening across lineup includes new grilles, bumpers, lighting, tailgate outer and wheels.
- AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control and Curve Control;
- Dual-stage driver,right front-passenger, front-seat side and Safety Canopy® System with side-curtain airbags and rollover sensor;
- Four-wheel vented disc with Anti-Lock Brake System MyKey;
- Personal Safety System for driver and right-front passenger Remote keyless entry system;
- SecuriLock Passive Anti-Theft System SOS Post-Crash Alert System;
- Tire pressure monitoring system.
The price for the new model hasn't been released yet, however the prices for the current models range between $27 380 - $60 520.
2. Nissan Versa
This little nippy hatchback was named as the top selling vehicle in Mexico. It has also been named as America's best-selling nameplate in the entry level segment. Since the release of the Versa Note and sedan in 2014, Nissan has been hard at work trying to create an affordable vehicle with an edgy design.
This year, Nissan has added on a few exterior features to make the vehicle just that much more in line with the rest of the vehicles of its class.
- Versa Note S Plus;
And for the Versa Note's safety features...
- New front fascia and "V-Motion" grille;
- Standard 1.6-liter 4-cylinder engine includes a range of fuel efficiency- enhancing technologies;
- Advanced Xtronic transmission features a retuned D-step Logic Control, which simulates shifts. This gives a more natural acceleration feeling without holding a high rpm constant;
- 16-inch sport machine-finished aluminum-alloy wheels and outside rear-view mirrors;
- Zone Body construction with front and rear crumple zones;
- Nissan Advanced Air Bag System;
- Standard seat-mounted driver and front passenger side-impact supplemental air bags;
- Standard roof-mounted curtain side-impact supplemental air bags;
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) system;
- Child safety rear door locks;
- Standard Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC), Traction Control System (TCS);
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with available Easy-Fill Tire Alert.
The current 2017 Versa Note models vary in price. They can range from $15 480 to $18 710.
3. Renault Symbol
The French car manufacturer launched the Symbol in 2015 and has since launched a face lift this year. This vehicle is equipped with one engine, a 4-cylinder 1.6-litre motor, mated to a 4-speed automatic transmission.
This sedan is a sleek and stylish looking ride with C-shaped signature for front & rear lights, new front & rear bumpers as well as a new boot door with chrome embellisher.
According to the Best Selling Cars Blog, the Symbol was named as the best selling car in Algeria for 2017.
This is what makes the Symbol a safe motor vehicle to travel in:
- Central door locking;
- Power steering;
- One touch front driver window;
- Radio Arkamys 3D sound;
- CD/MP3/USB with Bluetooth & steering wheel radio switch;
- Keyless entry system Temperature sensor.
- Front driver & passenger airbags ABS;
- Emergency braking assistance Passenger A/B with disconnecting function Driver seatbelt unlock alarm.
This vehicle is only sold in some countries, the United Arab Emirates being one. If you purchase a new Symbol in the UAE, you can expect to pay between AED 38 900 - 42 900.
4. Hyundai Solaris
The Hyundai Solaris has been Russia's top-selling vehicles since its first release in 2011. According to Russian Automotive Market Research, "over the entire period more than 640 thousand cars were sold. In 2016, Solaris became the absolute bestseller in the Russian market with the result of 90 380 sold units."
The Solaris is a compact, sleek sedan that looks very similar to the Elantra, however it has never made its way to South Africa. This vehicle promises to be light on fuel and is equipped with six airbags.
- Active Plus;
Here are some of the safety specs that the Solaris boasts:
- Buyers have the option of a 1.4 litre and 1.6 litre engine, which is equipped with either a 6-speed manual or automatic gear box;
- The 2017 version features an updated radiator grille and led running lights;
- The vehicle comes with a convenient infotainment system;
- Large 7-inch touch screen makes it easier to access navigation information and multimedia.
- The new stability system;
- Tire pressure sensors and ERA-GLONASS emergency response system;
- There are six airbags throughout the vehicle.
Prices for the Hyundai Solaris depend on the model of the vehicle you decide to choose. Prices range from $12 700 to $17,100.
5. Toyota Aqua
Toyota is still the world's number one car brand with the Toyota Hilux being named as the top selling vehicle in South Africa for another year. The Toyota Aqua has, however yet to be launched in South Africa.
This hybrid hatchback is very similar to the Toyota Prius which is available in South Africa. The Aqua has been named as the 'most fuel efficient' hybrid yet.
The Toyota Aqua hybrid runs for 35km/ litre making it the cheapest hybrid vehicle in its class.
- G Soft Leather Addition;
The Toyota Aqua comes with the following safety features:
- Two airbags;
- Traction control.
The price of the Toyota Aqua ranges from $15 652 to $18 323.
Lower your car insurance premiums today. Get an affordable quote and start saving.